Ball Flight Dynamics
“Why did it go that way?”
Basic Ball Flight Rules
The initial part of a ball flight is based only on swing path (direction the club hits the ball).
After the inertia (from direction of the swing path) decreases (ball slows) the angle of the clubface takes over and determines on which axis to rotate. Open face- the ball rotates to and spins clockwise. Closed and it goes counterclockwise.
- Straight Swing Path +
- open face = Ball starts straight then goes right
- closed face = Ball starts straight then goes left
- Square = Ball starts straight and stays straight
Inside to Outside Path
Outside to Inside Path
Ball goes straight left.
Couple of choices: (in order of probability)
1. You didn’t finish the turn away (did you left should get at least to the ball), but did turn on the downswing.
2. Your first move from the top of the swing was by pulling the club with the right hand.
3. Try it… you will reroute the clubhead so it comes from the outside.
Learn to identify what causes the ball to fly like it does, and how to remedy it.