GOLF TERMS FOR BEGINNERS
Eventually you need to love your putter, your driver and the wedge you prefer around the green.
Woods – now made with stainless steel and/or titanium. Titanium used because it is lighter than steel allowing both larger heads and longer shafts. AKA- "metals, metalwoods"
– largest, longest club used to "Tee off" on most holes, men’s length is now 45", ladies 43", 1 wood may be labeled with the degrees of loft (9, 10, 11).
– used for long shots off the ground, or may be used off the tee lofts are 3- wood –
15 degrees*, 4-5 wood 18 degrees*, 7 wood – 21-23 degrees*, 9 wood 25 degrees*.
* = It varies by make…
Traditional sets consist of a drivers 3 wood, 5 wood. Most players should have a 7 wood.
Hybrid/ Rescue – replace "Long Irons" (#2, 3, 4, 5,) similar in design to a wood. Easier to hit. Longer center of gravity to hit it higher.
Metal clubs # 1-9 PW (Pitching Wedge)
Each iron hits the ball a different length because of graduated lofts (4 degrees per club) + length of shaft (1/2" per club)
# Loft Length # Loft Length
* W-48 – 35" * 5 – 28 – 37 1/2
* 9 – 44 – 35 1/2 * 4 – 24 – 38
* 8 – 40 – 36 * 3 – 20 – 38 1/2
* 7 – 36 – 36 1/2
* 6 – 32- 37
*-Varies by MFG …Ladies clubs are 1" shorter.
Club length is determined by height and arm length (not X or Y chromosomes) It’s a good idea to get "fit" to see if standard is right for you.
PW or W- Pitching wedge usually 48 degrees – 35" in length.
A or G wedge – Approach or Gap wedge- Fits the loft gap between a PW & SW. Usually 52 degrees.
SW- Sand Wedges are designed differently than your other clubs. It has the "trailing edge" (sole/bottom of the club) lower than the leading edge by 8 to 15 degrees. This is called bounce angle. This angle causes the SW to come out is the sand. The SW is also heavier than the other clubs.
LW – LOB wedge, usually 60 degrees, for "pop up" shots around for control graphite for distance.
Of these varieties of clubs you must choose no more than14 to play a round of golf. For beginners 1,3, 5, 7 woods & 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 irons, PW, GW, SW & Putter.
Grips – made of rubber, must be round except for the Putter. Need to be changed every season. The difference a new grip has is important. They allow you to hold the club lighter.
– softer ball best for most players. Terms used to describe the balls will be: soft, feel, low compression. (2 piece construction) Best for most golfers. Examples: Noodle, Lady Precept, Mojo.
– hard balls good for high swing speeds. Hard feel spin to go straighter, but tough to make them stop on green, similar to a range ball. Long distance. Examples: Topflite, Ultra.
– combination spin & distance. 3-4 piece balls variable thickness and core hardness determines characteristics.
Two types of bags: Cart bags & Carry bags- Carry bags are lightweight with Bi-Pod legs to keep bag standing. AKA Stand Bag. They feature a backpack style strap. Cart bag – good for riding or pull/push carts. Larger than carry bags, with more pockets and storage
2-3 wheel carts used for walkers who don’t want to carry their bag.
Bags are measured in inches across top of the bag. A "Sunday Bag" is quiver usually canvas, good for walking with 6-10 clubs.
Additional items needed:
– used only to start "tee off" on a hole. Tees are made of wood and available in a variety of colors and lengths (from 1 7/8 to 4") 2 3/4 is about average.
Green repair tool
– small "fork like" device used t fix dents aka. Ball marks on the green. Rule os thumb – fix yours plus one more.
– used to mark ball position on the ball putting surface as to not interfere other players putting. A coin works fine.
– sharpie to label ball for ID.
Gloves Right handers use left glove. Lefty’s use right. Sizes from small – XXL. There are regular and cadet, think of cadet as 1/2 size smaller than regular … so a size run is cadet small, small, cadet medium, medium, cadet large, large, etc. Have more than one so you can rotate before they get wet (you can air dry by hanging on bag.) Rotating 2 gloves will give you 4x or glove life.
– for cleaning clubs/ balls.
Eye drops, Band-Aid, Sunscreen, Bee Sting Kit etc.